Hair loss is one of the most common problems worldwide. From hormonal changes and stress to various medical conditions, hair-loss can be triggered by many other reasons.
Here's a quick video on food, yoga and basic oils that can strengthen your hair and keep it healthy, controlling hair loss. After the video, you can also read an interesting review of some more quick tips.
Hair loss is a natural phenomenon; so there’s is no need to worry over a few follicles falling off. However, there could be many causes of hair loss which include diet, mineral deficiency, medications, stress, pollution and genetics.
Here are some more tips that can be helpful in keeping your hair healthy:
1. Regularly wash your hair with mild shampoo
Regular hair washing is a part of preventing hair loss by the way of keeping hair and scalp clean. Doing so, you are lowering the risk of infections and dandruff that may lead to hair breakage or loss.
2. Vitamin and protein for hair loss
Vitamins are not only healthy for overall well-being but also good for your hair. Vitamin A, B and E keep hair healthy. Enrich diet with protein.
3. Hair massage: Those who have been experiencing hair loss for quite some time must massage the scalp with diluted essential oil for couple of minutes. It helps your hair follicles remain active. You can add lavender in an almond or sesame oil.
4. Avoid brushing wet hair : When hair is wet, it is in its weakest state. So avoid brushing wet hair because the chances of hair loss increases. But if you must comb wet hair, use a very wide-toothed comb. Also avoid brushing hair too frequently as doing so can injure hair and increase loss. Use your fingers to undo tangles, not a comb or brush.
5. Use Garlic juice, onion juice or ginger juice : Rub one of the juices on your scalp, leave it overnight and wash it out in the morning. Do it regularly for a week and you will see noticeable result.
6.Keep yourself hydrated : The hair shaft comprises one quarter water so drink at least four to eight cups of water in a day to stay hydrated and for the growth of healthy hair.
7. Rub green tea into your hair
Studies have shown that rubbing green tea into hair may help curb hair loss problem. All you need to do is brew two bags of green tea in one cup of water, leave to cool and thereafter, apply it to your hair. Rinse your hair thoroughly after an hour. To see results, practice this regularly for a week to ten days.
Biotin, also known as vitamin H, is one of the B complex vitamins that helps our body convert food into energy. Studies suggest that including biotin-rich food in your diet or taking biotin supplement may slow hair loss. If you are dealing with hair fall problems, then include biotin-rich foods like nuts, sweet potatoes, onions and oats in your diet.
Bhringraj, also known as False Daisy is a medicinal herb that has been used for a long time to prepare Ayurvedic medicines to prevent hair loss.
10. Physical activity
Make time for physical activity every day. Walk, swim or bike for 30 minutes a day helps balance hormonal levels, reducing stress levels besides reducing hair fall.
Studies in the past have found medical evidence to link stress with hair loss. De-stress yourself; one of the ways of doing it is by practicing meditation. Alternative therapies such as meditation and yoga not only reduce stress but restores hormonal balance.
12. Avoid rubbing your hair dry with a towel. Rather, let hair dry naturally.
13. Reduce Smoking and Alcoholic Beverages. If you are experiencing hair loss than lessen your alcohol intake because drinking alcohol reduces hair growth. So decrease or eliminate alcohol to see an increase in hair growth. Avoid Smoking. Smoking cigarettes reduces the amount of blood that flows to the scalp and this causes a reduction in hair growth.
14. Avoid Constant heating & drying
Don't subject your hair to frequent, constant heating and drying procedures. Heat weakens hair proteins, and constant heating and drying can lead to weakness and fragility that causes hair loss.
15. Keep your head sweat free
People with oily hair, experience dandruff during summer due to sweating and the chances of hair fall increases. Using shampoos that contains aloe vera and neem can keep the head cool and prevent from dandruff.
Also, men who wear helmet experience major hair loss in summer. As the sweat accumulates in the pores and weakens hair roots causing hair loss in men. So wearing a scarf/ bandanna over your hair or a terry cloth headband can prevent hair loss.
16. Change how you style your hair
If you are losing your hair lately, you must loosen up your hair. Hairstyles such as ponytails, braids and artificial hairstyles pull hair or tug hair follicles, and can eventually cause baldness. Harsh chemicals and permanent hair colour products could be damaging for hair health.When you are experiencing hair loss, it is advised not to colour your hair.
17. Health problems are harbingers of hair loss. Ensure you deal with chronic illnesses, high fevers and infections properly to ensure healthy hair.
Certain medications may have side-effects, one of which could be hair loss. Consult a doctor to ask about conditions that you may have. Let him know if the medication is causing hair loss.