Benefits of Gur (Jaggery)
Jaggery (or gur) is made from unrefined sugar, and is obtained by boiling raw, concentrated sugar cane juice till it solidifies. Although jaggery is also made from the sap of coconut and date palm, the one made from sugar cane is the one that's used most widely.
Not only is gur better than white sugar--which only adds empty calories to your body--it also has a number of health benefits, including its ability to cleanse the body, aid in digestion and provide good amounts of minerals.
Here are some health benefits that will make you want to adopt jaggery as your go-to sweetener for everyday purposes:
1. It prevents constipation by aiding digestion
2. It activates the digestive enzymes in our body, thus helps in proper digestion of food. That's why many people prefer eating jaggery after a meal
3. Jaggery acts as a detox, as it helps cleanse the liver by flushing out nasty toxins from the body
4. Jaggery is loaded with antioxidants and minerals like zinc and selenium, which help prevent free-radicals (responsible for early ageing)
5. It helps boost resistance against infections, hence building stronger immunity.
6. Eating a piece of jaggery daily can help women combat PMS symptoms including mood swings, menstrual cramps and abdominal pain.
7. Jaggery acts as a natural sweetener and provides energy over an extended period of time. Even factory-made honey has been deemed unhealthy because it gets ripped of its nutrients. That's when jaggery steps in!
It is, however, suggested to consume jaggery in moderation, as it is slightly higher in calories, containing up to 4 kcal/gram.
People who are diabetic or are following a weight loss diet should monitor their consumption of jaggery, as it can lead to weight gain and fluctuations in blood-sugar levels.
source : Indiatoday.in
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. HealthCult does not claim responsibility for this information.
Check out these amazing healthy food made of gur-